On 14 December 2022, the European Alliance for Apprenticeships organises an online discussion to shine a light on campaigns and different instruments used to involve SMEs in apprenticeship programmes across Europe.
Key-questions that could be addressed include:
- At national and regional levels, what are the most effective campaigns and instruments to promote apprenticeships among SMEs?
- What are the best ways to communicate with SMEs, in view of promoting apprenticeships?
- How can SMEs be supported and incentivised to take up apprenticeships, and to what extent are their needs different than those of larger companies?
- What challenges and barriers do SMEs face when participating in apprenticeship schemes? Examples may include financial obstacles, an unfavourable business environment, and bureaucracy.
- What role can SMEs using apprenticeships play in promoting this type of dual work-based learning?
- What experiences do SMEs have from working with apprenticeships, and how are these predicted to develop in the coming years?
Speakers and moderator
The event moderator will be Ana Carrero Yubero, Deputy Head of Unit – Vocational Education and Training. DG Employment, Social Affairs and Inclusion – European Commission
Introductory speaker: Simon Broek, senior expert in vocational education and training (VET) and adult learning, and director of Ockham IPS.
The panel will be made up by representatives from SMEs and regional and national VET-representatives.
- Miriana Bucalossi, Tuscany Region. Head of Apprenticeship, WBL Policies and EU Project Management Unit, IT
- Paula Zaplana, Technical policy officer in European Projects, PIMEC (Catalan Small and Medium Business Association), Spain
- Sergio Corridori, Head of HR department, Cantine Mazzei
- Valentina Guerra, Social Affairs and Training Policy Adviser, SMEUnited
The European Alliance for Apprenticeships (EAfA) unites governments and key stakeholders with the aim of strengthening the quality, supply and overall image of apprenticeships across Europe, while also promoting the mobility of apprentices. These aims are promoted through national commitments and voluntary pledges from stakeholders.